Accreditation and Designation Statements
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint sponsorship of the Foundation for Care Management (FCM) and the Age Management Medicine Group (AMMG). FCM is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
FCM designates this educational activity for a maximum of 27 AMA PRA Category 1 credits TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The Foundation for Care Management is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Colorado Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Approval period: July 1, 2009—June 30, 2012. Provider # FCM-0612.
Educational Goals & Objectives
- Review basic endocrinology of Testosterone including the benefits and risks, understand the laboratory testing process and options for clinical Testosterone replacement.
- Review basic endocrinology of Pregnenalone with special emphasis on function in regulating the nervous system, nerve transmission, memory and inflammation and discuss options for clinical use.
- Understand the importance of Thyroid optimization, laboratory testing and current literature demonstrating benefits in protecting against cardiovascular disease and hyperlipidemia.
- Review patient complaints regarding Adrenal Insufficiency and understand patient evaluation protocols and laboratory testing to determine an evidence based clinical response including nutrition, nutraceuticals, phytonutrients and HRT.
- Understand how nutrition and neurotransmitter modulation can impact sexual desire and arousal.
- Understand why and how a Glucagon Stimulation Test is necessary for a determination of Adult Growth Hormone Deficiency.
- Understand the scientific evidence on the effect of stress and exercise on hormone balance and the clinical application of individual exercise options which have the greatest impact.
- Understand the role that sex steroids have on neural and immune function, how to use hormones as biomarkers of endocrine function and subsequently as immune-modulators of endocrine function.
- Understand the basics of autologous stem cell science and the rationale for using autologous stem cells in age management medicine
- Understand the current literature on research and clinical use of autologous stem cells
- Understand the current law and regulatory issues surrounding the use of autologous stem cells
- Understand how autologous stem cells are used in Aesthetics, Spine Surgery, Osteoarthritis and Rotator Cuff injuries
- Understand current traditional medical interventions for prevention and treatment of breast cancer and learn a new protocol for addressing chronic inflammatory processes including appropriate evidence based studies to support a Breast Matrix Stabilization.
- Understand the impact of genetics and environment have on weight loss resistance and how to identify and target diet and lifestyle interventions to ensure greater likelihood of weight loss and long term weight management.
- Understand how to evaluate a female patient for the purpose of prescribing hormones including the current medical literature to understand the health benefits of hormones and their importance in maintaining certain optimum levels.
- Understand the basic endocrinology of the use of Testosterone in Women, how to address underlying imbalances, what treatment is appropriate during menopause and how this treatment may impact diseases such as osteoporosis, heart disease and other issues related to healthy aging.
- Understand the role that vitamins and nutrition have in providing menopausal women with optimum health and disease prevention, and relief from common menopausal symptoms.
- Understand the concept of “hormone symphony” and how this model can simplify goals for intervention and initial treatment plans.
- Understand the most common complications in using HRT (progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and DHEA) in women including side effects of synthetic hormones and learn how to anticipate, avoid and treat complications.
- Understand the use of non-invasive and invasive imaging to prematurely detect cardiac disease and identify the vulnerable patient and the use of several modalities both pharmacological and other to treat early cardiac disease.
- Understand how certain nutrients can enhance cardiac aging of the heart and how important nutrients are to replacing those depleted from the use and abuse of medications.
- Understand the nature of Sleep Apnea and how it may contribute to Cardiac Disease, including epidemiology, etiology, complications, diagnosis and treatment.
- Understand the current medical literature on hormone replacement with regard to cardiovascular safety as well as the effects of HRT on cardiac function in both health and diseased cardiac conditions.
- Understand the current medical literature on the evidence based clinical use of mind-body medicine to prevent and treat various aspects of cardiac disease.
- Learn evidence based approaches that can be used to prevent heart attack and stroke.
- Understand appropriate evaluation techniques for hyperlipidemia and clinical interventions available to Age Management Medicine Physicians to successfully treat and manage the cardiac risk.
- Understand how exercise can prevent and treat inflammation in the context of cardiac disease.
- Learn how stem cell therapy is being developed as a treatment for heart failure and heart attack, including a review of the CADUCEUS Study.
- Understand how to assess immune system dysfunction including a review of clinically available test and how to develop a comprehensive patient treatment plan to improve the immune system including telomerase, stress reduction and HRT.
- Understand current theories of aging including telomere theory and their interaction amongst one another in relationship to Age Management Medicine.
- Understand the mechanisms and evidence based clinical uses of neuroprotective agents, Cholinergic, Nutrients, Herbs, Nootropics and Mind-Body Practices and understand how such Mind Body Practices as movement, breath techniques and meditation in a sequence can raise, circulate and store vital energy to enhance autonomic nervous system balance, improve brain function and reduce inflammation.
- Understand the interconnectedness of aging, arthritis and pain and how the development of chronic pain syndrome can lead to immobility and subsequently cause weight gain leading to other diseases of aging. Learn techniques to relieve pain allowing patients the opportunity to lead a more active life and avoid some health consequences of chronic pain.
- Understand some of the recent developments in Supercentenarian Longevity and mortality rates with advanced age.